Raccoons are intelligent, persistent animals that will find any way to enter attics, chimneys, crawl spaces, garages, sheds and other areas on your property seeking shelter. Telltale signs of a raccoon problem include:
- Strange noises coming from the attic, walls, or chimney, especially at night when raccoons are most active
- Raccoon droppings around the house near possible entry points. Their feces are tubular and blunt-ended.
- Damaged shingles, soffits, vents, or other areas on the roof or siding. Raccoons will rip apart materials to gain access.
- Paw print tracks in yards or gardens. Raccoon tracks resemble tiny human handprints.
- Gardens or garbage cans disturbed and ravaged overnight as raccoons forage for food.
- Peculiar odors coming from the attic or other areas. Raccoon urine and droppings have a strong, unpleasant smell.
If you notice any of these signs, you likely have unwanted raccoons on your property that need to be removed by wildlife professionals. Attempting removal yourself can be dangerous, ineffective and illegal in Florida.